This page is a temporary list of the facilities to be available in The Bridge. At the time of writing, not all of these facilities were fully operational.
- ThermoFisher scientific Scios 2 FIB-SEM – Focussed ion beam / scanning electron microscope. This instrument includes a gallium ion column, material deposition and etching, in-column and in-lens detectors, a micromanipulator, and a STEM detector. Includes software for semi-automated TEM sample preparation, and a 60mm2 SDD EDX detector system from Bruker. Also includes an integrated plasma cleaner.
- ThermoFisher scientific Talos F200i S/TEM – scanning / transmission electron microscope. This system includes twin 100mm2 SDD EDX detectors from Bruker, and is capable of BF/DF/HAADF STEM, as well as conventional TEM with a 16Mpixel CETA camera. It also supports tomography with double tilt and low background sample holders.
- Sample preparation equipment for the above including precission cut-off saw, sample polisher, plasma cleaners
- Zeiss Imager M.2m Materials microscope including polarisation, phase, and fluorescence
- Linkham LN600 heating / cooling stage, and DSC module for the above
- Two Zeiss Stemi 508 inspection stereo-microscopes
Atomic Force Microscopy
- AFM Workshop HR-AFM, with 15 and 100 µm scanners, vibrating and non-vibrating modes, magnetic force microscopy (MFM), Electric force microscopy (EFM), image logger, conductive AFM (C-AFM), and motorized optical modules
- AFM Workshop LS-AFM, with 60 µm scanner, vibrating and non-vibrating modes, coupled with with inverted optical microscope with phase and fluorescence imaging, and heated liqquid cell for room temperature to 60°C operation
- AFMWorkshop NP-AFM with 60 µm scanner, vibrating and non-vibrating modes, for scanning of samples up to 8 inches (200mm) in diameter
- AFMWorkshop HR/TT2-AFM prototype / development AFM
- Bruker Vertex FTIR mid and far-infrared spectrometer with liquid nitrogen-cooled detector, gas cell, DRIFTS, ATR accessories, RAM II FT-Raman module
- Bruker Senterra Raman microscope with 532 and 785 nm lasers, and external optical probe, and motorized stage
- Netszch STA-MS and JEOL/Agilent GC-MS. This instrument can also be coupled to the Vertex FTIR for infrared analysis of evolved gases
- RTEK MFT-2000 with linear, rotary, and reciprocating modes, scratch testing, and hardness testing, and controllable temperature range from room temperature to 500℃
- Netsch Dynamic Mechanical Analyser – DMA 242 E Artemis with air cooling for temperature range 10°C to 600°C including sample fixtures for tension, 3 point bending, cantilever and compression testing
Additional Laboratory Spaces
- Materials synthesis laboratory
- Materials testing laboratory
- Category 6 clean room